Alan G. Gilchrist, Esq. (In Memoriam)Partner
We are deeply saddened by the passing of our friend and colleague, partner Alan G. Gilchrist (Feb. 24, 1947 - July 17, 2017).
ALAN G. GILCHRIST chaired The HLP's Civil False Claims and White Collar Criminal defense practice group. Mr. Gilchrist was a nationally recognized health care lawyer, specializing not only in civil false claims and white collar criminal defense, but also in matters related to licensure, reimbursement, compliance and fraud and abuse. He represented all types of health care providers, suppliers and professional organizations.
Mr. Gilchrist successfully argued provider-reimbursement issues before the U.S. Supreme Court on behalf of the American Academy of Family Physicians and the Michigan Academy of Family Physicians. In addition, Mr. Gilchrist had the distinction of being the first attorney to successfully defend a physician group in a Stark and Anti-Kickback case brought by the U.S. Department of Justice.
He spoke nationally and locally, including to such organizations as the American Medical Association, American Bar Association, American Health Lawyers Association, and the FBI National Symposium on Health Care Fraud. He participated in the establishment of the Michigan Bar Association Institute of Continuing Education and moderated and lectured at ICLE seminars for over a decade.
Mr. Gilchrist was recognized in the Super Lawyers publication; he was selected by dBusiness magazine in 2011 as one of the Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit; he is listed in the Best Lawyers in America in Health Care Law and Administrative Law; and he has an AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell. In 2011, Mr. Gilchrist was selected to be included in the inaugural class of Fellows of the State Bar of Michigan's Health Care Law Section for his sustained, outstanding contributions to the Section over the years.
- J.D., Wayne State University Law School, 1973
- Magna Cum Laude
- B.A., University of Michigan, 1969
- Michigan Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
- State Bar of Michigan
- Health Law Section, Fellow
- American Bar Association
- Michigan State Bar Foundation
- Michigan Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Assisted the Michigan State Bar to establish the Health Law Institute; Planned, moderated and lectured at these seminars for over a decade.
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Fraud and Abuse Planning Committee Voluntary Disclosure Task Force
- AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell.
- Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law, Administrative Law)
- Honored by d'business magazine as a "Top Lawyer in Health Care"
- Named a Super Lawyer for his achievements in health care law, 2006-2016
"Fraud and Abuse Update," by Alan G. Gilchrist, Esq. and Raymond Beckering III, Esq., 2012 Institute for Continuing Legal Education Health Law Institute, Plymouth, MI, March 9, 2012.
"Practice Integration: Healthcare Practice Appraisals, M & A, Sales of Physician Practices," Alan G. Gilchrist, Esq., Michigan Association of CPAs, April 28, 2011.
"Seminar: Fraud/Abuse Changes in Health Care Reform," Alan G. Gilchrist, Esq., State Bar of Michigan Health Care Law Section Annual Meeting, September 23, 2010.
"State Medicaid Fraud Cases," Alan G. Gilchrist, Esq., American Health Lawyers Association Fraud and Compliance Forum, 2008.
"Defending Qui Tam Cases When the Government Has Declined Intervention," Alan G. Gilchrist, Esq., American Health Lawyers Association Fraud and Compliance Forum, 2005.
"Lessons Learned from Trying a Stark Case," Alan G. Gilchrist, Esq., American Health Lawyers Association Fraud and Compliance Forum, 2002.
"Health Care Fraud Cases from the Viewpoint of the Health Care Provider," Alan G. Gilchrist, Esq., FBI Symposium on Health Care Fraud, 1986.
- Foster Swift Collins & Smith, P.C., shareholder 2002-2011
- Vandermale, Bellamy & Gilchrist, P.C., shareholder, 1996-2002
- Bellamy & Gilchrist, P.C., shareholder, 1975-1996